Aggravated Assault in NJ
One of the more serious criminal offenses you can face in New Jersey is Aggravated Assault. Defined as recklessly causing bodily harm to another person, aggravated assault is considered an indictable offense. If convicted, the penalties are severe. You should speak with an experienced defense attorney immediately to protect your rights. Attorney Mark A. Schneider has over 25 years of criminal defense experience and can help you form a defense strategy in your assault case.
Aggravated Assault Charges
In many of the Shore Communities, aggravated assault charges often are the result of a simple bar fight. However, any of the following scenarios could result in an aggravated assault arrest:
- Recklessly causing bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon (gun, knife, bat, car, stick, beer bottle)
- Attempting to cause or purposefully or knowingly causing bodily injury to another person with a deadly weapon
- Attempting to cause serious bodily injury to a person or causing such an injury purposely, knowingly, or under a negligent, or reckless situation
- Recklessly pointing a firearm at another person
Aggravated assault can be charged in varying degrees (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th degree). The higher the degree, the more severe the possible punishment. How it is charged depends not only on the result of the assault but who it was committed against and other specifics of the case. A determining factor in having your case dismissed or downgraded may be if you were acting in self-defense. In some cases, if Mark A. Schneider is hired to get involved early enough after the arrest, he is able to reduce the charges and make the possible the punishment is less severe.
Regardless of the degree of the assault offense, you could face:
- A Permanent Criminal Record
Speak with a Defense Attorney
To avoid these penalties, you should speak with an attorney and discuss your case. Mark A. Schneider will review the circumstances surrounding your altercation and determine the proper course of action. Call defense attorney Mark A. Schneider today to protect your rights and freedom 609-242-9337.